JP>>When starting up I get the following error message:-

JP>>"Can't create folder c:\ProgramFiles\THEBAT!\Bayesit. Check that no
JP>>file with such name exists or that access to the folder is
JP>>allowed."

JP>>Message appears on installation and each start up session.
JP>>Bayesit is loaded, apparently after the message is accepted (ie click on the
JP>>"x" in message window).

Same here, as well.  I cleaned it up by removing the built-in 0.5
version, and then downloading and installing the 0.4gm from
http://klirik.narod.ru/usefuls/bayesiteng.htm#download.  I also
restored the "learning files" which had already been working pretty
well for me (selective.txt, spamdict.idx, spamdict.lst, spamdict.bye,
nspamdict.idx, nspamdict.lst, nspamdict.bye).

Hugh