Some time around 09/04/2004 19:14:22, I think I heard Roelof Otten say:

> You might be overlooking Allie's point too.

No, I understood his/her point (sorry, I have learned not to assume gender by names);
hence my response.

<!SNIP!>

> Whereas what Allie said was that Ritlabs had to satisfy a lot of
> customers. Some need another UI, some need one bugfix or another. When
> you're a company and 100 users need a bugfix and 1000 users need a UI
> (or state that they didn't buy the software because of the UI).

Bug fixes, by their very nature, require prioritizing, as they are functional
deficiencies, which impede use at the most, and annoy and frustrate users at the
least.  And make no mistake, "a 100 users" do not need bugfixes, the *product* itself
requires them in order to be complete and fulfill RitLabs' original commitment to its
paying customers.  I agree that the UI could use a facelift and would benefit from a
usability study, yes that is also an important thing.  But again, focusing on this and
the addition of new non-core features to the detrement of the quality and
functionality of the product itself, not to mention the promises made when v2.x was
introduced, is just plain wrong.  Specially when history shows that it is very
probable that the introduction of new features can introduce its own legion of bugs,
and increase the complexity of the application.

> You are one of those 100, so apparently you don't like the decision,
> but that doesn't make Ritlabs priorities wrong, only different from
> yours.

RitLabs priorities are wrong, whether you want to agree with my comments or not.  You
might like the direction that RitLabs is taking with development, that is your
prerrogative of course, and others might too, but it still does not change the fact
that there are plenty of old bugs that have not even been addressed in the least,
which shows a poor development process and a lack of commitment to quality.  It is,
like others have said, the way that huge corporations such as Microsoft work: add
enough bells and whistles and chrome and hope the users do not see the bugs crawling
all inside it.

        -dZ.