Hello Deborah,

DS> HELP, please. I can't send or receive mail.

DS> Boy, do I miss the speed and simple elegance of Pine, Lynx, and a
DS> shell account ... no bells and whistles, just the info you needed,
DS> fast and sleek.)

Have you tried telnet?  It's always my first step when having
problems like this.

POP:

telnet pop.mindspring.com 110
user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
pass <password>
stat                     //gives your message count etc.
list                     //lists all message # and size
retr #                   //download message #
dele #                   //delet message #
rset                     //reset all the things that you've done

SMTP:

telnet smtpauth.earthlink.net 25
...and then you'll have to google I'm afraid!

--
 Nick