Hello Mica Mijatovic & everyone else,

on 02-Apr-2005 at 10:11 you (Mica Mijatovic) wrote:

> AntiVir

Every time someone asks for an AV program recommendation, the answers
contain things like "it always worked for me" or "I had zero issues" or
"its fast and resource friendly" or even "the best thing: its free!" (if
thats the best thing for you about a virus scanner, you have to seriously
think about what your intentions are when using the program!)

In other words: answers that IMHO have *nothing* to do with the choice of
an AV program. Please, stop it. This is about security, privacy, preventing
damage to yourself and others, and not some personal preference.

The FIRST question for a virus scanner IS and must always be: how good is
the scanner? (there are dozens of tests out there to find out, and I'd
advise anyone looking for a virus scanner to read at least three different
tests, and not ask in a newsgroup or mailing list).

Second question is: how often do I get updates, and along with that, how
easily can I get the updates, do I get small update files automagically in
the background every time I connect to the internet, or do I have to
manually download and install a big file?

Only *after* these two things like resources and cost for the program can
further add to the consideration which program to choose.

A piece of (worthwile?) information maybe. Just for your consideration. The
following is plain simple FACTS.

Last wednesday, one of our customers brought his laptop computer, he said
that whenever he connected to the internet, the machine would almost stall
and be totally unusable (typical sign for heavy virus or adware infection
when you're using a small band internet connection).

Looking at it, I found a *totally* outdated Norton AV on it, so I removed
NAV and installed AntiVir free edition (downloaded the *most* recent
version). I intentionally did not fix things manually (like HKLM/run
entries removal, checking the BHO plugins, etc.) but let only the scanner
work.

First scan with AntiVir - it found 87 malware files (worms and adware
droppers) & removed them successfully. Sounds good, does it?

After that, I removed AntiVir and installed GData AVK (which uses the
Kasperky + Bitdefender engines). I scanned the machine again. AVK found
another *NINE* malware files of different types - amongst them one Internet
Explorer BHO adware dropper, that would install itself again every time you
start IE.

To make it clear: AntiVir removed 87 malware files, but it did not clean
the machine.

I want to add my very personal opinion here: the program may be free, but
it is useless.

'Nuff said.

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.