Hi Günter,

> That makes some sense if I understand it correctly: with IMAP, the
> folder structure moves from the local computer to the server

Theoretically, the other way around: What is on the server will be
seen by the client, by any client. Of course, you use the client to
create and move folders on the server.

> and all of TB's filtering of the inbox to the folders therefore
> takes place at server level?

It would affect server level. Of course, TheBat still runs on your
local machine, and so do its filters. But (while connected) the
instant a filter on your home machine decides to move a message
between folders, this change will also become fact for the work
machine.

> And any local folder structure is an exact replica of the server's
> folder structure?

Yes, this is correct.

> If I have local folders on the home machine but not on the work
> machine, moving messages from the server to the local folders will
> delete it from the server and therefore from the folder structure on
> the work machine (which only replicates that on the server)?

Exactly, that's the idea. Compare it to a classic file server: If you
move a file using one client machine, a second machine will instantly
see the file in its new location and no longer display it in the old
one.

> Quite a change from the familiar way of doing things under POP...

Well, yes. :-)

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Alto Speckhardt