Hello Bob,

BR> In short, so far I think Evolution is easier to set up for IMAP, and
BR> the best settings seem to be built in as default.  In TB, the settings
BR> require more fine-tuning, and I am asking this list if there is a setting
BR> in TB that will allow me to read new incoming messages when I first
BR> select them?

If you don't do any fine-tune, you should get TB! working good and
fast with GMail's IMAP. At least, it works this way here.
Synchronisation settings should be used only if you want to stay
offline for a while or want TB! to prefetch some data before you start
reading it. Generally, I would not recommend any synchronisation if
you have almost permanent connection to the Net.

 Stefan