Greetings all,

Prepare yourself for more than you ever wanted to know about a newbie tech writer. As of mid-August, I am the first and only tech writer at the company I work for. My position was created due to fairly rapid company growth necessitating a more formalized documentation strategy; or a documentation strategy at all, for that matter. The developers at my company have created a host of proprietary tools to support and maintain websites for 79 local TV news stations accross the country.  (As a personal side note, I generally have a rather strong aversion to local TV news.) Our company also supported the NBC Olympics websites for the Winter games this past winter as well as the '04 Summer Games in Athens.

Besides the fact that the company needed a tech writer, my switch from programming to tech writing was also a ploy on my part to be able to take a job with me when my family and I moved from Minnesota to Pennsylvania this summer so my husband can attend seminary. I now work from home in Pennsylvania for a company in Minnesota and I also stay home with my two wonderful children ages 3 and 1 while my husband is at seminary.

I don't really know what I'm doing as far as tech writing goes, but so far I seem to be faking it well enough. I have no writing mentor in my current postion, so I lurk on tech writing distribution lists, read your blogs, and try to read what I can about writing when I have time. Since I am the only tech writer at my company, it's a releif that I'm also the first because nobody really has any expectations for me. Most of what I write is used internally and nobody really cares what gets done when, they are just happy to have somebody writing something and organizing what has already been written. Actually, because the company has a very fast-paced environment and everyone is very busy, I get very little feedback  - so who knows, maybe nobody even really cares about what I'm doing, but I'm having fun , I'm learning,  and I'm getting paid!

I have been in college seemingly forever. I started out at a military academy (West Point) and after two years decided that the Army was not the life for me. I have been floundering around ever since acquiring credits in various degree programs at various schools.  I also got married and had a couple kids which slowed things down a bit on the educational front. I am currently 3 credits and a senior paper away from a B.A. in Art History from the University of Minnesota (though I practically have enough credits for 2 B.A. degrees now). I also have an Associates Degree in Multimedia and Web Design. I hope to finish my degree as soon as possible, but taking care of two young kids and working full time keeps a person busy! Maybe graduate school is in my future, but for the next 3 years, the focus for our family is getting my husband through seminary.

You may not hear from me much, but know that I am lurking and appreciating your knowledge and experience!

Gretchen Maciolek

Gretchen Maciolek
Technical Writer
Internet Broadcasting |
www.ibsys.com
1333 Northland Dr | Mendota Heights, MN  55120

570.280.5712
E-mail: gmaciolek@ibsys.com | AIM: ibsys gretchen

Are you a Help Authoring Trainer or Consultant? Let clients find you at
www.HAT.Matrix.com, the searchable HAT database based on Char James-Tanny's HAT
Comparison Matrix. Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for details.

Interested in Interactive 3D Documentation? Get the scoop at
http://www.doc-u-motion.com -- your 3D documentation community.