> it flatters me somewhat that you read so much into
> my simple astonishment about a news item that does
> in most geek circles provoke the response "no way,
> hell froze over".

I quote from your original mail:

    this is very impressive news, although for me for all
    the wrong reasons.

Have all the other sponsors contributed for only the right reasons
over the 20 years?

You did not show simple astonishment -- you judged a sponsor.

Others on the day of that donation also crossed similar lines, some
implying that the donation was been accepted for the wrong reasons.

This is our house, and you don't get to insult guests who bring a
generous green salad to the party.  That is how you become uninvited.