From: telrad-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:telrad-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf Of
Nathan Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:44 PM
To: telrad@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [Telrad] Uplink throughput again

There really isn't much for me to add to Jeremy's excellent response.

As far as what could be different with regard to the specific issue we were
talking about here?  So many things.  You could be running a different software
release...only people who have been wrestling with (Telrad's acknowledged)
issue with uplink performance likely are using bleeding-edge eNB code to deal
with it.  You could be running a different configuration that is not affected,
or not affected as noticeably.  We use 15MHz channels.  I'd guess not very many
others do, and until recently, different channel widths required some special
tweaks elsewhere in the config in order to get acceptable performance, which
tells you something.  We also currently use subframe profile 1, but before the
latest CPE7000 firmware version, we *couldn't*, because of bugs in the CPE
firmware that just absolutely killed performance with that configuration under
some circumstances.

Just because your particular configuration does not trigger some of these bugs
does not mean that they don't exist, and I don't think it is fair or accurate
for you to compare the issues being discussed here to the "OMG whye cain't I do
100 megawattbits on me neg85 Ubiquitay!!!!!111!!one!!" crowd.

In fact, over the last 3 months or so, the majority of our problems have been
traced back to the EPC and have absolutely zero to do with RF.  Here are some
of the issues we have dealt with there, some of which are finally fixed, and
some of which are not...granted, some of these (especially towards the bottom)
are on account of us running prerelease code, but at this point, because the
fixes for the crashers we found on 6.6 haven't been backported to 6.6, we are
stuck between a rock and a hard place and forced to play beta tester on our
production network (!!!!):

* The RADIUS/AAA (external HSS) client in the EPC crashing (causing the whole
EPC to reboot itself)

* The switch FPGA dying/resetting for several seconds at a time (causing the
RADIUS client to crash, causing reboot...beautiful domino effect!)

* The switch FPGA dying/resetting for several MINUTES at a time (first release
we got as a fix for this made the problem worse instead of better)

* Dedicated bearers getting carte blanche on the uplink (100% reproducible
within 5 minutes of trying to use the feature...how did this manage to ship?)

* SGW process on the EPC crashing in a similar manner to RADIUS client

* Broken eNB tracking (gets confused about which eNB has which IP address; may
be related to SGW issue: I suspect a linked list is getting clobbered in memory)

* Data corruption for user traffic going through the EPC (it seemingly throws
out and recomputes the TCP payload checksum, making it silent but deadly!)

Also, if I may (since I'm on the subject of frustrations, and I don't know
where else to put this): why does every little config change (e.g., TFTP
server? Really??) on either the Compact or BreezeWay require a full system
reboot to be applied?  I mean, what year is this?

-- Nathan