Your post comes at an interesting time.

For the last few weeks, we have been fighting with Telrad engineering over
multiple issues.  The vast majority of them have been on the EPC side (many of
the bugs have been crashers or otherwise extremely service-affecting!), some of
which I have detailed in past posts here.  Fortunately, within the last couple
of weeks we have actually made significant progress with these and the latest
EPC code is the most stable we have seen in some time (though there are still
one or two outstanding issues; fortunately they do not seem to rear their heads
very often so by-and-large things are running smoothly).

I am still unconvinced that the dips I screenshotted a while back as recorded
by my realtime SNMP grapher are "real" and not just a function of the utility I
am using.  As such I haven't spent much time chasing that particular issue
down.  However, on the eNB side we have definitely run into the exact same
issue as your #2 in your list.  So far, we have only noticed it on the eNBs
that are running the pre-release code, and we have only upgraded our 3 most
heavily-loaded eNBs to this release while the rest remain on 6.6 GA (4013).
(If the other eNBs were more loaded, we might feel pressure to upgrade them
past GA in order to resolve the upload performance issues that exist with the
GA release but which seems to largely be dealt with in the pre-release code.
As things stand, though, those sectors seem to be performing fine, so until
they either start seeing more traffic/UEs or I know that this particular
problem has been licked in an as-yet-unreleased eNB firmware, I will hold off
on further upgrades.)

We also seem to be fortunate in that it sounds like it is happening much less
often to us than it is to others (you).  We ran pre-release eNB code for a good
2 weeks before we first encountered the issue (or, at least before we actually
noticed it).  We discovered resetting RF interface cured it (S1 reset, quickly
toggle spectrum analyzer on/off, etc.; reboot takes way too long).  It didn't
happen again for a couple of days but then happened 2 days in a row on the same
eNB.  During one of those times, we managed to get one of the Israeli support
guys to remote in and investigate, collect logs, etc., but then after we
thought he was done and we reset the S1 to that eNB, he said there were a few
more things he forgot to collect and to let them know when it happens again.

And of course, it hasn't!  (Actually not true...it happened on a second sector,
but I knew he wasn't going to be around at that very moment and I wanted to
test and see if kicking all UEs off worked just as well as a full S1 reset, and
sure enough it did.  It simply hasn't happened again since then, so there
hasn't been another opportunity for them to remote in and collect more data.)
So in our case, it can sometimes be several days in between incidences.  Also,
sometimes we will notice (by reviewing BreezeView KPIs) that it has actually
occurred but then self-correct with no action on our part, sometimes in as
little as 5-10 minutes (1-2 samples).

The guy I was interacting with wouldn't commit to a yes or no when I
point-blank asked him if this was "yet another bug" we were chasing (I wanted
to say "yet another @#$@#$%@ bug" but I bit my tongue ;-)).  But given that it
is now clear (thanks to your post) that others are seeing the exact same thing,
I'm sure they know that they have another problem on their hands (as they CAN'T
just have heard about this from the two of us), as elusive as it might be
(impossible to reproduce at-will, etc.).

I, too, share your view of things: frustrated with the state of the product and
support infrastructure as a whole, but unwilling to pin blame on any individual
I have been in contact with.  At some level, I empathize with them because I
have been in similar positions, chasing problems that are elusive and hard to
reproduce while at the same time having (legitimately) upset customers beating
you up over them.  It *really* sucks, and I am *sure* that they acutely feel
the pressure to get these things fixed.  At the same time, the sheer quantity
of issues we have experienced over the time we have owned this gear is somewhat
staggering, and often it seems like we trade one issue in for another, which
makes applying upgrades a scary prospect ("what new regression will we end up
fighting with this version?").  Over the last few months, we have scheduled
maintenance windows more times than I can count at the drop of a hat, often
several times in a given week, and have allowed bleeding-edge/hot off the
presses code to touch our *production* infrastructure, in essence allowing
Telrad to use our network as a guinea pig so that we can aid their engineers as
they work to reproduce these issues (since many of them have not been
reproducible in a lab.)  I personally have lost countless hours of sleep and
built up a tremendous sleep debt over maintaining this system, and have fallen
behind on other duties (as well as life in general) as a result.  I am trying
not to sound snippy here, but it's getting to the point where I'm seriously
considering asking the question of what sort of compensation we should expect
to get in return for all of this.

At the same time, perhaps partly because I see real progress, and partly
because I think I'm largely an optimist by nature, I still hold out hope that
things are eventually going to work how they ought.  I can't remember where I
heard or read this, but my impression is that the Compact's WiMAX firmware was
in a similar state for a good while when it was first introduced, but is now
regarded as rock-solid.  So they are probably just in a similar stage of the
development and evolution of the LTE product.  That doesn't make it any less
frustrating, though, that we seem to have been caught in this particular stage
for as long as we have.

Sadly, I won't be at WISPAmerica.  If you manage to get some productive face
time with Telrad there, I'd love to hear about it afterward.

-- Nathan