On 9/20/18 3:23 PM, pmkel...@frontier.com wrote:
We buy used, manufacturer refurbished PCs for the most part to keep costs down. They are generally 5 years old when purchased and they get used for another 5 or more years. They run Fedora and the applications we use just fine. So now it sounds like your telling me I need to buy newer PCs. What age limit do you propose for PCs before Fedora will no longer support them?

Use PXE. I bet your systems support it. Setup Cobbler and never touch physical media again.

Oh I forgot to add in my prior replies on this subject that we used DVDs for long term backups too.

Yikes. I would suggest you invest in other options.

Thumb drives, especially the low cost ones, have not demonstrated good enough characteristics, to be good candidates for long term back ups. ESD is a particularly important issue in that regard.

I'm not sure what FUD you've read to believe that, but flash drives from reputable brands are very hard and last more than a few times writing to them.

It's time to move on. Technology eventually advances. You have options. There is no doomsday scenario here. :)