Hi everyone,

thank you all for your help. Everything seems to work properly now,
although I do not understand why:

I downloaded prepmx.exe from ctan and replaced the corresponding file in
the MiKTeX installation. After that, everything worked. However, it
still did after I restored the original executable. So.. who knows?
(It's hard to tell what the problem could have been now, since I can't
reproduce it anymore.)

Well, at least it works now.

Benedikt