Hello everyone,

I hope this ends up right as an answer to Benedict Wilde's question "prepmx failing on example document", since I don't literally answer, but manually type "Re:" in front of the question.

I had the same problem with M-Tx quite a while and wanted to try Benedicts solution. Before doing so I double-checked that the problem does still exist by first updating all LaTeX packages via MiKTeX Update (there was one for M-Tx as well, but no other MusixTeX stuff and no priority updates) and then running the example file. But, what a surprise, it worked. I also might only speculate on why. E.g. I remember the MiKTeX package manager not working anymore lately, now it does again. And because I had it with several other software as well that it worked on one computer running Windows 10 but not on the other, I guess the problem was some hardware - Windows 10 or maybe Windows 10 - LaTeX interference.

However, I started using MusiXTeX and PMX in the meantime and did have quite a hard time finding appropriate PMX example files for my particular needs. E.g. the first example I became aware of that would be with lyrics, was netsoos.pmx (it's mentioned in section 6.1 of the PMX manual), but since I could not produce a netsoos.pmx from the netsoos.mtx I had to go on searching for another example. I do think it would be a good idea to add netsoos.pmx, netsoos.tex, barsant.tex and quod2.tex to http://icking-music-archive.org/software/htdocs/Introduction.html#examples.

There is another detail on the WIMA website that made me grin quite a few times and I can't help mentioning it here: On the front page you state one would need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to be able to open pdf-files. I always thought it doesn't really fit to a website of an open source project :D.

Best,
Matthias