OK, I found it.

Therion stores it in the thTMPDIR folder, which can be preserved if one
follows the guidance here

https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#how_to_get_therions_metapost_code_an
d_tex_code

Survex loop closure seems to be fed arbitrary station names (no survey
structure) by Therion, but you can kind of work it out if you open the .3d
file with Aven.  A bit daunting with 35000 stations though.  I found that I
can right-click the data.err file, and sort its contents by various error
metrics.

This is pretty cool, and highlights just how embarrassingly bad some of our
early pre-disto loop closures were.

It is a tool that gives some hope of systematically debugging and solving
possible locations of the bad data, or highlighting passages for possible
resurvey.

I guess Survex users have always known of this functionality, but it adds a
new dimension for this Therion user.

Bruce

+