On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM, FND <f...@gmx.net> wrote:

>> why is it good practice for plugins to check if they've already been
>> loaded? (if version.extensions.....) { } at the top of most plugins)
>
> Cargo-culting.
> This doesn't actually solve any useful purpose AFAICT. I'm not sure
> where it originates, but I don't include those bits in my plugins
> anymore (though I haven't gotten around to removing it from all existing
> plugins yet).

Funny as I do it all the time, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Does this mean I shouldn't be using "version.extensions....." at all?

Thanks Eric for going through the scenarios. The probability is so low
that a plugins would appear twice, and exponentially lower that it
would actually have any more effect than the performance overhead of