Mark S. wrote:

> After splitting into your 4000 pieces, how was performance for additional,
> normal splits?

Bad.   S l o o o o w.

TBH if I did it again and the splitter were so equipped it could split on
"^\s*CHAPTER" then it might work. There are 50 chapters so its about 80
paras per chapter.. Seems well workable.

> If there's a serious split problem, then the question is, do we:
>
> 1. Advise people to stick with shorter documents

Yes.

But, long term we should maybe look at Dynaview (the e-pub version of TW
uses it brilliantly) to see if it could help?

> 2. Use some other mechanism for ordering the tiddlers
>
> A simple ordering system would be to have a field, "sortby". Then on the
> first split you would have
>
> 001.
> 002.
> 003.
>
> and then an additional split at 002. might look like
>
> 001.
> 002.001
> 002.002
> 003.
>
> and after 002.001. :
>
> 001.
> 002.001
> 002.001.001
> 002.001.002
> 002.002
> 003.
>
> Obviously this field could get quite long.
>
> The main reason I didn't pursue this path was because I was thinking about
> outlining. For outlining, it needs to be easy to traverse up and down
> (actually more "up") a chain of tiddlers. The list filter operators built
> into TW allow you to do that.

IMO the simplicity of your tag approach is right. Its working well.
Mega-huge novels I don't think is typical.

Maybe I need test a bit more, but what I experienced so far is perfectly
workable.

> I'm assuming that the greater utility of an outliner/editor makes any
> performance hit worthwhile, but I guess it will be easier to judge that
> when I post the outlner tw.
>
> I can post it now, but important pieces are unfinished. In particular,
> when you split, the new tiddlers aren't assigned a level and fold status,
> and so disappear. The interface isn't using standard icons. But if you want
> to have a peak:
>
> https://marxsal.github.io/various/notowritey-outliner.html
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fmarxsal.github.io%2Fvarious%2Fnotowritey-outliner.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGtpdYr-cU1C0YITPjOYLsfck0sTw>
>
> Click on the "hamburg" to change levels. Click on the fold/unfold symbols
> to change fold status.
>
> There's a tool tiddler for converting existing documents into outline
> documents (just adds level and fold fields).

Thanks. I will take a look.

TT