This link (
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/AZjiguV9DUU/NonZSOLuCAAJ )  is a
start at an explanation that  letters are the (alphabetic) symbols used to
form words that are a Special index into a Dictionary of meanings.
Generalizing this yields the realization that there are MANY more "nonWord"
strings than there are Words (even in a rich language like Chinese).

It's interesting that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_telegraph_code
was effective as a way of using co-ordinates as an index into a dictionary
of Words that conveyed meaningful information very efficiently.

Obviously, with TiddlyWiki's UTF-8 support, we can do very much better by
building a vastly larger dictionary of accepted meanings.  This might
initially just be thought of as yest another "jargon".

Perhaps, upon reflection, the use of English vocabulary is similar.  I have
learned that newspapers are written using a very small subset of English
words since few folk have mastered a significant subset of the unabridged
Oxford dictionary.  Hence they simply consider their omitted words to be
"meaningless" in the contexts of their interests.