> Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>> Every time this topic comes up we end up going round in circles with people
>> proposing new names. Let’s try to avoid that, it just gets in the way of the
>> much more complex discussion that we actually need about why and how we want
>> to do this.
>
> Fair enuff (but the thread title certainly invites for this).

Yes, that's rather why I was trying to point the discussion away from that
direction.

> Could you elaborate more on what "...that is less constrained by backwards
> compatibility" means? To start off, do you (merely) mean it as an opportunity
> to make a one time correction of some past mistakes

Yes, exactly that. It's something we've talked about repeatedly, either in the
context of v5.2.x or v6.

> or do you mean a change in philosophy, i.e to let go of the "backward
> compatibility"-effort with a version that is more open to continuous backward
> breaking changes (like most other software is)?

I think you'll find that most software avoids breaking backwards compatibility
as far as possible because to do otherwise is intensely user hostile. Take a
moment to imagine what TiddlyWiki would be like if we didn't rigorously
maintain backwards compatibility where we can. Imagine if upgrading sometimes
just didn't work and then when you asked for help you were told that it was an
intentional policy of the project.

Best wishes

Jeremy