@Soren: I appreciate the nuanced understanding you bring to this topic.

@Si: sorry if my end-of-day (i.e. tired!) response came off as dismissive.
I have since read the subject article with due attention, and while i
appreciate the author's perspective, i must agree w/ Soren that it is not
generalisable to the level of how all human brains work. Tho i am no
neuroscientist, i resonate strongly with the exceptions Soren points out,
especially in his 2nd paragraph.  The time dimension can be a powerful key
to recall, but so can space quite independent of time (yeah, i know:
space/time is one dimension, but not in the human brain -this at least IS a
generalisable principle) and other factors in our sensory apparatus -all of
which i would lump into the category of CONTEXT.

That's my take on one (#4) in the author's list of 4 "big ideas" for
problem-solving in this domain.  As to the 3, i must say:

   1. "Captured ideas are better than missed ones." YES -agree strongly.
   2. "Adding new ideas is better than updating old ones."  NO -definitely
   not for me, mate.  I'm with Gandhi on this one -and Soren, if i understand
   him right [*]
   3. "Ideas that can’t be recalled are worse than useless."  EXACTLY! They
   actually impede access to the useful ideas -which is why point 2 above is
   so wrong, from my POV.

Note [*]:  Now from a practical perspective: Does updating notes mean we
must sacrifice important history?  Clearly not -as various projects (Git
diffs, Wikipedia history, Internet Archive, etc.) prove. Are such solutions
good enough? You'll never get everyone to agree on any one as a canonical
solution to the problem.  For my purposes: a periodic push to Github, with
a reasonably descriptive comment after every *significant* development, is
good enough... But that's just me.  If we're talking about
"mission-critical" code, that's another matter, but not in the scope of
"note-taking," i would say (tho if we're talking about lab notes that must
eventually serve as evidence in a legal dispute over IP... Let's just not
go there :-)

Final thought: Invoking the wisdom of Soren yet again -i.e. memory updates
itself over time, while retaining traces- i think what we want in a
note-taking system is not to *replicate* the human brain, but rather to
*Augment* our intelligence.  For all the talk about AI and the existential
risks attending to it, i'm going all-in on the idea that IA (Intelligence
Augmentation) is the best shot we have at ensuring that the inevitable tech
progression from narrow AI -> AGI -> "The Singularity" does not necessarily
mean the end of humankind.  It may however mean we must reconcile ourselves
to the idea of our progeny being post-human (whatever that means)... But,
enough said about that for now :-)

/walt