Man, if I kept every single iteration of every little thought, so that for
every little thing I can see the path of thinking between version X and
version Y ... way too heavy to carry all of that around.

Between the choices of all or nothing, I think I'd prefer nothing.  The
"all" turns into information hoarding: I must keep every little thing and
every version of that thing in case I need it someday.  Bleurk.

There are some things that may be worth keeping "milestone" versions of.
But every version?  Maybe for some really critical things, but I can't
imagine any such scenario for myself.

The thing with the need to keep every iteration of a note: you then kind of
need to keep every iteration of related notes too.  Otherwise, the memory
of that note at a particular point in time might be missing some pieces.
Unless you keep all of the pieces in the one note, which is crappy for
information
componentization
<https://blog.okfn.org/2007/04/30/what-do-we-mean-by-componentization-for-knowledge/>

and totally conflicts with the philosophy and benefits of tiddlers (i.e.
keep them suckers focused, light, agile.)

I say all of that, I don't ever get into thoughts akin to: back in 1986,
seems to me somebody said something to me that shaped the way of thinking I
have today.  Now where is the note that reminds me who said what and where,
and where is the chain of notes that together shaped this silly way of
thinking I have today.

If I really needed a perfect snapshot in time for everything, I might
archive daily versions of entire TiddlyWiki instances.  BLEURK.

A good enough solution, to me, would involve just annotating/adorning a
Tiddler with change log entries of significant milestone changes, little
breadcrumbs that would remind me of what the heck I was thinking at some
particular moment.  No way would I bother doing that for every thought.

Huh.  I re-read all of my gibberish, and I imagine a large plate of
spaghetti and meat balls flung at a wall.  Kind of all over the place ...