On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 1:31:00 AM UTC+2 springer wrote:

> Soren,
>
> In your "better indexes" essay you write:
> If we do have the full text included in each locus, we may want to write a
> summary anyway and store it along with the full text: this way, we’ll be
> able to create an outline later and more easily see what parts of the
> document we’re hopping between.
>
> And it reminds me how certain enlightenment texts were printed with a
> running outer-margin summary distilling key points (and of course the
> cognitive work of spelling out those side-notes is considerable!). For
> example, see the side-notes starting at p 49 (pdf-pagination) on this Adam
> Smith manuscript:
> https://oll-resources.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/oll3/store/titles/237/0206-01_Bk.pdf
>
> For some tiddlywiki projects, I've started to employ a super-condensed
> summary field (call it, say, the tldr field) that can be displayed for
> certain purposes. Unlike the main body of the tiddler, the tldr is
> text-only, maximum of a single sentence. (And if I can't summarize the
> tiddler in one sentence, then it needs to be more than one tiddler. ;) ) Of
> course, the fact that tw's standard search interface doesn't peek beyond
> title and text field means this solution requires some building-around to
> be useful.

As I did read that section, I did think in a similar direction. I was
thinking about a "teaser" text that is shown in "Blog overview listings".
Sometimes it's the first paragraph of the text itself and sometimes it is a
short summary, that comes later in the text.

I did create a field-search plugin, that lets you configure additional
fields that are shown in the search results. See:
https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/field-search/

-mario