Well, this google group is already the meeting place for this
community. And will remain if it isn't actively closed by those
responsible for it.

> The problem with forums I expect is that they are
> 1) difficult to restructure and
> 2) need extensive and wise moderation
> In forum, such restructuring seems to be quite a problem each time

It's an unsurmountable problem here with GoogleGroups - where it
simply is impossible!

Though I do almost know nothing about server-sides, but to set up a
forum, to moderate and shift threads I found easier than adjusting
TWs. It usually just works out of the box :-)  (it's really that easy
as marking the thread with a checkbox and selecting the forum where to
move)

> moderators who will move threads here and there, and do it so that
> thread creators won't lose their threads and understand why the thread
> is moved, without hard feelings.

If a thread is moved because there would be a better fitting category
a note is left by default where it has been moved and for what reason
(for a predefined time). And if a few regular users would serve as
moderators something like moving a wrongly placed thread would have to
be done maybe once a week.

> This sounds incomprehensible. Are you talking about refactoring 55
> thousands threads?

Don't know, but it should be possible to import existing threads into
a subforum and from there to their proper category from time to time.

Its that many posts only, and with a few threads like this one with
already more than 50 posts alone it's much, much less. Also because
the much better custom search of forum software, even non-categorized
it would be still easier to find things. Then just to categorize the
most recent 2 years its only about 10000 posts, which maybe amounts
2-3000 threads. Theoretical sorting 3 treads per day only - I alone
could do that in one year easily!