> Ha, there are actually:
>
>    - <tl> = tree lists, just like "ol" "ul" "dl"
>    - <ti> = tree items, just like "li"
>    - <tp> = tree parent nodes
>    - <ts> = tree separators/spacers
>
> I thought of using table cells and borders to make such a tree diagram in
> the first place, but I knew this would take too many markups. After
> searching on Stackoverflow, I found someone sharing about "display:
> table-row/table-cell", so I decided to combine this CSS trick with the
> TiddlyWiki list markup mechanism, creating new elements without using CSS
> classes, because I don't want to use {{css{wrappers}}} per item.
> Fortunately it worked with acceptable layouts (only that the bars were very
> ugly before v0.4).

The bit I am missing is where I don't find TL, TI, TP, TS in an HTML spec.
So, I presume this is markup you have invented yourself and for some reason
the browser doesn't care (interprets it as a span) and applies some custom
css to it? I never knew this was possible / allowed.

> *(c)* a tree should by default be wrapped into some span with a class *
>> .treedg*
>>

> In the first place I did design to use a class to wrap the whole tree,
> that was when I was still thinking of table markups and using CSS rules
> like ".treedg td/tr/th". But later when I changed to list model and new
> elements, I abandoned the overall class wrapper. It seems that we can do
> without it, how do you think?

I think it is more intuitive to know there's a <span class="nodetree"/>
wrapped around it and then be able to style that with paddings margins
backgrounds and what not rather than to have to do this all the time...

{{nodetree{
&&parent&&
%chilc
%child
}}}

> *(d) *right now I am playing with getting rid of images entirely and
>> putting nothing but borders
>>

> It's a pity that CSS does not offer "border: upper-half/lower half" :-p
>
> MediaWiki cladograms use borders, but based on nested tables. The output
> is very clean, but I found it too hard and too complicated to implement
> with TiddlyWiki markups... (perhaps have to write another plugin like
> MediaWikiTableFormatterPlugin)

I wouldn't bother. I tried for 10 minutes, thought... well, of course, it's
not that simple... and didn't want to bother inenting it. End of borders
for me.

Best wishes, Tobias.