I'll try again, but my posts keep getting deleted...if anyone can help me
that it'd be appreciated...

I don't think it's right to characterise the problems as being with the
single file architecture, because I don't really see TW as a single file
architecture, any more than Excel. TW is a program and a data file, as is
Excel. The difference is that the program for TW is called the browser. We
think about the TW program as being that part of the data in the file that
gets executed, but that's really analogous to VBA code.

*Program*                                                               -
File
Excel
       Application functions
       Enables VBA                                                    -
user code (VBA, formulas); data
       File IO
Browser
       Enables JS                                                     -
application functions (JS, macros, widgets); user code (ditto); data
       ?FIle IO?

The problem occurs because the TW driving program, the browser, is not
longer fit for purpose. If Excel stopped saving spreadsheets, that'd
obviously be a pretty major disaster. TW, though, doesn't control the
browser, so we have to take our lumps when it does stop saving.

I switched to using Firefox for TW (from Chrome) because of the extension
which allowed overwrite saves. The save(n+1) option is rubbish; I mean it's
doable, obviously, but it is not convenient. It's not a user-winning
experience. If that goes, I guess I'll switch to using Tiddlyfox, which
seems to be OK. It's the program TW controls which can run TW and also
save. It's a pity to lose the "elegance" of running with a program that is
already readily available, but in terms of offline user experience ,
downloading a program, installing it and running it is not a big challenge
for most people.

I think the future will be TFox for standalone; browser for online; Node
for the minority; offline browser for the rest, and I don't really see a
problem with that. It's more user-friendly, IMO, than running TW on top of
a database. No matter how hard people work to make the underlying
technology transparent, I think the extra complexity will eventually show
up. I don't think that's the right place to invest the technical talent.

Cheers, Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c64e3467-5937-4808-b033-636693b0ea86%40googlegroups.com.