Arlen,

I'm a part of the minority which cannot use USB sticks at work. Security
recognizes and blocks flash drives. The more restrictive my environment
becomes, the more I dread the day I can't even get TW at work. I tired to
email a copy of my project management wiki to myself at home and it was
blocked based on content and file size. I imagine one day I won't be able
to email myself an empty wiki from home to work, which is what I did to get
it last month. I could get to the website but couldn't download an empty
copy.

---

Andrew,

I think I get the analogy you're trying to make, but I believe the premise
is slightly off because Excel is a complete package, meaning it's designed
from top to bottom for all "parts" to work together. Tiddlywiki and the
browsers are not designed that way. The only way to solve that would be for
Jeremy to repackage the single file application as that "Excel"-type of
program. I don't know anything about the JSON side of TW, so it could be
that it provides this type of solution (?).

Also for clarification, TiddlyFox is just a FireFox addon that smooths the
user's saving experience. It isn't a tool being manipulated by TW which
seems to be how you're describing it. In fact, what you're describing as
the future of TW is already in trouble and continues to be TW's recurring
problem. Browser security continues to evolve in ways that close off the
function TW needs to smoothly save over itself. That elegance is at the
mercy of the browser developers.

----

I completely get that mine is an unpopular opinion but I'm not seeing any
way around it: Jeremy's fallback measure of using the Save dialog will
become the only available way of saving TW in the future. I don't think of
it as inelegant; I think TW users just aren't used to it and are loathe to
accept it. Like I said before, we got used to a different experience. We
have the expectation of it. Maybe it's time we reset our expectations on
this one thing? Is it truly so disruptive to the user experience? I don't
think so.

>From my point of view, it's actually much easier now that TW "falls back"
to the Save dialog.

Peace,