Jeremy

That explains the mysterious omission of such a feature. A key use case for 
me is when I have a folder of images and PDF's I want to display in a 
tiddlywiki yet I want to avoid loading the tiddly wiki up and making it too 
big. If I could choose a specific library ..\images Place my files in that 
and drag and drop to the tiddly wiki it would save a lot of time. Perhaps I 
do need to provide the relative or absolute path ..\image at the time of 
the drag and drop (For all that I am about to "import") to use in the 
creation of the tiddlers, perhaps also an optional check box specifying 
that I want external links (not importing) on the Import tiddler would make 
this a low impact change.

Clearly Drag and Drop does have access to the filename of each item dragged 
and dropped, all we need to do is parse this list as external files/links 
with the manual provision of the source path.

Another thought is the import feature, permitting import of external links 
to selected files, and allow a multi-select, I would have thought the 
browser has to know the full path to do this import?, but I expect I may be 
wrong on that.

Background (optional reading)

For example I am building an edition of TW5 that I call USD's, Universal 
Storage Device, A bit like "USB". 

On a low cost USB drive I have a tiddlywiki that acts as the WebSite for 
the USB Drive, I can access this using a OTG Host cable from my smart 
phone, or tablet. also by placing the USB in a USB port of a computer or on 
a WiFi access Point. I have a few of these already, One in my car has all 
the car manuals and service details including the original advertising 
details. When using a mobile device it is important to keep the size of the 
Wiki low for performance. I plan to have many of these USD's so If I had a 
quick way of dragging and dropping or importing external file links it 
would be helpful. For example I already have 30+ folders containing various 
content for specific devices such as routers, disk-stations, TVs, Blue Ray 
Players even the stove and fridge. The thing is with TiddlyWiki, a Cheap 
USB drive a OTG cable I can USB enable, even website enable anything I want 
to. I can even glue the USB drive to those things. I have even contemplated 
putting low cost USB drives on boxes in storage, photographing the items 
placed in the box, and making these visible in the "USD" TW.  While 
maintaining a synced copy elsewhere for searching. 

Another Use Case
Allowing selective display of Images from a large photo library, or music 
tracks, curated and placed in a slideshow within a TiddlyWiki that can use 
tagging and all those features to manage the media. A tiddly-wiki can kind 
of act as a "PlayList". No these are not transferable, but we do not need 
to use every feature of tiddlywiki every time.

Please accept my thanks for this beautiful software tool TiddlyWiki, it's 
open nature makes it resemble "Plasticine" that can be shaped into anything 
we want. Please never take my apparent criticisms of TiddlyWiki as anything 
other than because I love it so much and want the best for this gem. And 
often It is pointed out to me how there is a way already.

Regards
Tony

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 8:14:24 PM UTC+10, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>
> Hi Tony 
>
> > Drag and Drop but only create external links? Allowing a relative link 
> such as .\images would allow the tiddlywiki to be moved with its media to a 
> host. 
>
> That trouble is that browsers do not reveal to JS code the original path 
> of the dragged file. We only get the file name portion. Browsers do this 
> for security reasons, and there’s no workaround. 
>
> Best wishes 
>
> Jeremy

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"TiddlyWiki" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3b87ce18-c3b1-42f9-b086-8862862cf011%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to