The reason I asked about the terminal output is because the line that
specifies the put request also specifies the response that the server
returned, which in this case should be 412.

The server does not think it's saved if it returns a 412. It is telling the
client that it could not save because the file was newer than what the
client had specified.

Under the hood, it uses the modified time of the file to check whether the
file was changed since the client loaded it. Every time the client sends a
new version to the server the server sends the new timestamp back to the
client which the client then sends on the next save. If nothing else
changed the file in the meantime, the timestamp will still be identical.

One more question, what version of node are you both using, or are you
using the nexe version that I posted at the top of this thread?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAJ1vdSRE4fBcHnUmqg1hMZfTgTTPDirqOG%3DfNajygpXEeN5%3DeQ%40mail.gmail.com.