Look up <$wikify>. It is like <$set> but it renders/evaluates the value to the
variable rather than just storing it for further rendering in another context
(or not rendering like in one of your cases). So you get to choose where the
value gets set in stone. I had a similar issue recently and that is how I got
around it.

/Mike

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/527d8f0c-9668-4056-b6b9-ef90ce72188e%40googlegroups.com.