Hi Mike
> Trying to import excel spreadsheet report repetitively to create database of
> tiddlers.
> In the primary row of the excel sheet, where the column titles are that
> specify the pointers for the field import specification, I have a couple
> columns with line breaks (ALT-Enter in Excel)...Not my choice
>
> How do i specify the line break character in the "column" field of the plugin
> control so that the plugin finds the correct column and corresponding data to
> put in the field upon import?
>
> Seeing if I have an option here besides manipulating the excel data. I'd
> rather just import the existing report as-is that is e-mailed to me.

Interesting problem! As you’ll have discovered, attempts to copy the line break
character from Excel and paste it into the editor of the XSLX plugin don’t
work. The reason is that those single line text fields don’t allow control
characters.

A possible workaround is to identify the tiddler field(s) that need to have
these control characters pasted, and to edit those fields in a scrap tiddler
via a textarea:

<$edit-text tiddler="$:/_importspec/Presidents and Justices/States/Main/title"
field="import-field-column" tag="textarea"/>

Then you should be able to paste the required line breaks into the fields.

The problem you’ll then likely run into is that control characters are removed
from tiddler fields when you save and reload as a standalone HTML file. A quick
and dirty workaround would be to save the wiki in JSON format (via the export
button).

Best wishes

Jeremy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/C9083645-244F-4FB3-9F1F-0C7105E1F1E4%40gmail.com.