Thanks for responding, true, I can manipulate the spreadsheets easily to
make this work, but i'm trying to fully optimize before resorting to doing
that. A little more about my setup.
I have spreadsheet reports emailed as attachments, for several things that
I get for work, and I spend about an hour of the day grabbing data from
these reports, manipulating and putting data into other spreadsheets for
inventories and other action items, would love to automate-ish this work.
For this question, I get a specific report, its something sent to
customers, a widget report of what we shipped to them. I want to take this
email with an excel attachment and drag the attachment into my
tiddlydesktop/tiddlywiki (which I keep open most of the day and use as a
knowledgebase/intranet) to create a rolling list of shipped assets as a
database without having to take the step of opening up the spreadsheet
attachment, manipulating the column titles, saving it to an actual location
on the machine/server, then importing it to my tiddlywiki. Because this
spreadsheet is formatted for viewing by customers, it has line breaks in
the column titles. I tried endless combinations of line change characters,
formatting, and even updating the xlsx.js code tiddler before posting.
I haven't had a chance to try Jeremy's suggestions yet, but I echo the
usefulness that an updated controls panel would have for other Excel
applications, or even to build an entire tiddlywiki via Excel. For my
application though (importing data repetitively via reports that are
consistently formatted), this plugin seems to match quite well.
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 5:07:05 PM UTC-5, Steven Schneider wrote:
> I'm sure you could fix this if you edited the file. One edit-the-field
> strategies that I've employed: insert a new row at the top of the
> spreadsheet, and generate a set of useable field names. leave the cell
> containing the title field blank in this row; when setting up xlsx import,
> make sure the checkbox "skip if blank" is ticked. I realize this creates an
> step requiring edit of the xlsx file, which as you noted is not something
> you want to do. But you must need to open it to get the column names, no?
> If you copy/paste-special-transpose the column names into column1 of
> another sheet in the workbook, you could read in the column names as values
> in tiddlers (you might set the title of the tiddlers to be =row(), which
> would give you a # as a hook. You could then transclude these values to the
> import spec tiddlers ..... but this gets messy quickly.
> Jeremy, is there any way to get access to the column number, or is
> everything in the plugin running on column names (i.e. the text in row1 of
> the column)?
> I've long wanted the xlsx import plugin to be modified so that there was
> an option to name the fields Column1, Column2, etc to avoid these issues.
> Similarly, set the title of imported tiddlers as Row1, Row2, etc. An
> additional feature might create tiddlers for each Column, and populate the
> caption field for these tiddlers with the contents of Row 1. And populate
> the caption field of the row tiddlers with the contents of a specified
> This would save much of the tedium of building xlsx imports, especially
> for large spreadsheets.
> On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 4:32:44 AM UTC-5, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>> Hi Mike
>> Trying to import excel spreadsheet report repetitively to create database
>> of tiddlers.
>> In the primary row of the excel sheet, where the column titles are that
>> specify the pointers for the field import specification, I have a couple
>> columns with line breaks (ALT-Enter in Excel)...Not my choice
>> How do i specify the line break character in the "column" field of the
>> plugin control so that the plugin finds the correct column and
>> corresponding data to put in the field upon import?
>> Seeing if I have an option here besides manipulating the excel data. I'd
>> rather just import the existing report as-is that is e-mailed to me.
>> Interesting problem! As you’ll have discovered, attempts to copy the line
>> break character from Excel and paste it into the editor of the XSLX plugin
>> don’t work. The reason is that those single line text fields don’t allow
>> control characters.
>> A possible workaround is to identify the tiddler field(s) that need to
>> have these control characters pasted, and to edit those fields in a scrap
>> tiddler via a textarea:
>> <$edit-text tiddler="$:/_importspec/Presidents and
>> Justices/States/Main/title" field="import-field-column" tag="textarea"/>
>> Then you should be able to paste the required line breaks into the fields.
>> The problem you’ll then likely run into is that control characters are
>> removed from tiddler fields when you save and reload as a standalone HTML
>> file. A quick and dirty workaround would be to save the wiki in JSON format
>> (via the export button).
>> Best wishes
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "TiddlyWiki" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to tiddlywiki+...@googlegroups.com.
>> To post to this group, send email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
To post to this group, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki.
To view this discussion on the web visit
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.