I'm sure you could fix this if you edited the file. One edit-the-field
strategies that I've employed: insert a new row at the top of the
spreadsheet, and generate a set of useable field names. leave the cell
containing the title field blank in this row; when setting up xlsx import,
make sure the checkbox "skip if blank" is ticked. I realize this creates an
step requiring edit of the xlsx file, which as you noted is not something
you want to do. But you must need to open it to get the column names, no?

If you copy/paste-special-transpose the column names into column1 of
another sheet in the workbook, you could read in the column names as values
in tiddlers (you might set the title of the tiddlers to be =row(), which
would give you a # as a hook. You could then transclude these values to the
import spec tiddlers ..... but this gets messy quickly.

Jeremy, is there any way to get access to the column number, or is
everything in the plugin running on column names (i.e. the text in row1 of
the column)?

I've long wanted the xlsx import plugin to be modified so that there was an
option to name the fields Column1, Column2, etc to avoid these issues.
Similarly, set the title of imported tiddlers as Row1, Row2, etc. An
additional feature might create tiddlers for each Column, and populate the
caption field for these tiddlers with the contents of Row 1. And populate
the caption field of the row tiddlers with the contents of a specified
column.

This would save much of the tedium of building xlsx imports, especially for
large spreadsheets.

//steve.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0dfc12be-ccbc-4670-9264-800aa5fc877b%40googlegroups.com.