hey BTC, I actually got it to work, try replacing the whole text of $:/
core/ui/Buttons/single-tiddler-fab with the following:

\define textOnPath(text)
<svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1000 300"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; >
<defs>
<path id="MyPath" d="M 100 100 a 50 50 0 1 0 35 85"/>
</defs>
<use xlink:href="#MyPath" fill="none" stroke="#ddd"/>
<text font-family="'Roboto', Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif"
font-size="42.5">
<textPath xlink:href="#MyPath">
$text$
</textPath>
</text>
</svg>
\end

<$macrocall $name="textOnPath" text=<<currentTiddler>>/>

it looks like the variable used is still "currentTiddler", not
"storytiddler"

however, I don't know if this is the kind of circular SVG path you meant,
because with this style it's kind of hard to read the tiddler title? Also,
actually looking for SVG paths online is harder than I thought lol

there must be a better path than this one
d="M 100 100 a 50 50 0 1 0 35 85"

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/57b4f4a0-f2bb-4c29-976a-0dd9d5853c67%40googlegroups.com.