I may be able to give you more tomorrow but the solutions I have seen that do
what you want save the new tiddler name in a state tiddler, then you click on a
button which uses multiple actions widgets to make a new tiddler with
transcluding the state tiddler as the title, then open it for edit. I presume
by template you mean with a default text content? If it is not to much the new
tiddler action can specify text="text" and perhaps text={{textsourcetiddler}}.

On a side note I would like a clone here button in addition to new here which
lets you edit the title and nominate the tiddler to clone.

To be honest I create most of my tiddlers with new, new here and clone except
for custom tiddlers. I am keen to develop ways to copy tags and fields and or
there values from one tiddler to the next.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/78660cec-8f26-4e4f-916a-1194e94612cd%40googlegroups.com.