What I noticed in your second code example is that your brackets are not
symmetrical {{…} should be {{…}}.

The only template based new tiddler button I have created looks like this:

<$button message="tm-new-tiddler" param="TemplateTitleHere"
class="classname">{{$:/core/images/new-button}}</$button>

I doubt if a template can be combined with a title entered by the user ... but
I might be wrong.

Good luck!
Thomas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0d1f93e3-189d-48c4-971b-9086a620a03f%40googlegroups.com.