use $action-sendmessage and tm-new-tiddler. You get access to more
parameters.

<$button>
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-new-tiddler" param="MyTemplate"
title="NewTitle" />Create Tiddler
</$button>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/313144cc-7ff2-4f6e-84f3-4108d59bbad2%40googlegroups.com.