Hey, all —

*(I had a Twitter discussion
<https://twitter.com/EvanBalster/status/962823006128164864> with Jeremy
yesterday about this topic which quickly overflowed the boundaries of that

To facilitate development of my Mod-Loader plugin
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywikidev/EoynoWzdXAs>, I'm
requesting a new module-type that runs during boot with maximal priority.
This module-type would be used for modules that need to add, remove or
modify items in the tiddler store which become "permanent" during the boot
process (IE, other JavaScript modules).

While the modloader is my main concern, I've given some thought to other
use-cases for boot-time modification of the tiddler store.  The obvious one
is "loader extensions":  That is, any plugin that loads tiddlers from a
non-default source.  A boot module could load some content from a network
or file source at boot-time, from the client-side.

Boot modules could work in a fashion similar to startup modules, running
first.  I suspect it might be preferable for boot modules to be loaded and
run one-by-one and prioritized by field values rather than
JavaScript-defined properties, though.  This would allow them to modify one
another or inject other boot modules into the sequence (potentially by
adding or modifying plugins).

Jeremy suggested yesterday that high-priority code like this could be
installed as raw markup tiddlers, but I'm a bit skeptical of this
approach.  I think it's important that modules like this have access to
tiddler store functionality, and remain portable across the many different
formats TiddlyWiki can be packaged into.  I also think it should remain
possible to package these boot modules into plugins.