Hi Evan

We’ve got to the point where the changes you are proposing to the core are
quite deep, and have lots of implications for the rest of the core. It’s going
to mean a lot of work on verification and testing from me, even if somebody
else writes the code. I don’t think that burden is justified at present.

Better to work with the plugin for a while, and explore the capabilities and
consequences before we commit to a new mechanism in the core.

> So, as mentioned in the OP I'm pretty leery of the "pre-boot" approach here.
> The modloader process
> <http://evanbalster.com/tiddlywiki/formulas.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Febalster%2Fmodloader%2Floader.js>
>  uses quite a lot of $:/boot library functionality to identify and inspect
> shadow tiddlers as part of the patching process, and to generate the output
> plugin.

At this point, I don’t see any problem with your plugin duplicating a few
hundred lines of boot.js; eliminating such duplication would come firmly under
the heading of optimisation.

> I also worry that working on the pre-boot DOM would create incompatibilities
> with certain TiddlyWiki environments (but I don't understand this low level
> stuff very well).

You can see all the code that depends on this stuff. The approach is solid.

> The current modloader can manipulate almost everything in the wiki except for
> startup modules and the modules they require, hence the request.

Yes, but your proposed solution is just an escalation in an ongoing arms race
to be the first module to run.

> In most cases, bootloader modules (including modloader) are going to want to
> generate any output to $:/temp or similar, where they won't create persistent
> changes in the wiki.

But equally, there’s no limit to the functionality in the boot kernel that
experimental plugins might want to tweak. Better to be based on a pre-boot
hook, and have the capability to hook anything, than to be dependent on the
hooks anticipated and provided by the core.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/5123518B-8F9C-4C58-9997-FF2BCB9964D7%40gmail.com.