Addendum:  If startup modules aren't collectively preloaded before they are
run, boot modules may be unnecessary.  However, this would force a change
in the prioritization mechanism (using tiddler fields rather than export
variables).

I think there might also be a meaningful difference in scope between
bootloader functionality (modifying the tiddler store) and startup
functionality (preparing functionality), but that's a loose opinion.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/2a76bfeb-b709-46a9-9797-ab4acb82c9a8%40googlegroups.com.