Hey, Jeremy —

So, as mentioned in the OP I'm pretty leery of the "pre-boot" approach
here.  The modloader process
<http://evanbalster.com/tiddlywiki/formulas.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Febalster%2Fmodloader%2Floader.js>
 uses
quite a lot of $:/boot library functionality to identify and inspect shadow
tiddlers as part of the patching process, and to generate the output
plugin.  I also worry that working on the pre-boot DOM would create
incompatibilities with certain TiddlyWiki environments (but I don't
understand this low level stuff very well).  The current modloader can
manipulate almost everything in the wiki *except *for startup modules and
the modules they require, hence the request.

In most cases, bootloader modules (including modloader) are going to want
to generate any output to $:/temp or similar, where they won't create
persistent changes in the wiki.

I expect we'll end up discussing in more depth during tomorrow's call.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/98a6ce14-9ba5-470d-b396-365f08ddd806%40googlegroups.com.