Hello Okido, sorry for the delay,

yeah, you are right, surprisingly there's 2 types of shadows: those stored
in shadowArea (ColorPalette, EditTemplate, GettingStarted, ImportTiddlers,
MarkupPreHead, OptionsPanel, PageTemplate, StyleSheetColors,
StyleSheetLayout, StyleSheetLocale, StyleSheetPrint, ViewTemplate) and
those merged to config.shadowTiddlers by JavaScript (line 1209 and below:
DefaultTiddlers, MainMenu, SiteTitle, SiteSubtitle, SiteUrl,
SideBarOptions, SideBarTabs, TabMore). Not sure what's the main difference
(I'd guess that the first ones should be loaded quicker but since
GettingStarted is in the first group while DefaultTiddlers is in the
second, I'm not really sure).

It is most likely the first group is "cooked" as html (hence < and >)
via the .externalizeTiddler method (
https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki/blob/master/js/TW21Saver.js#L9 ).
I'm afraid I can't provide much more details without diving into TW5 code:
the building script for index.html is just one line

node %TIDDLYWIKI5_DIR%/tiddlywiki.js ./wiki --verbose --load
./index.html.recipe --rendertiddler
$:/core/templates/tiddlywiki2.template.html %TIDDLYWIKI_DEST%/index.html
text/plain

although building empty.html is done in a stranger manner: it is build from
index.html (TW with content for classic.tiddlywiki.com):

echo BUILD: creating EMPTY.HTML and INDEX.XML from INDEX.HTML
%BROWSER% phantom_driver.js

Best regards,
Yakov.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/898ec3b0-2d36-4305-ba9f-4243b646bb01%40googlegroups.com.