On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Matt Campbell wrote:

1.  SCons can use native tools on both Unix and Windows.  No Unix
emulation layer is required on Windows.  The more I develop under
Windows, the more I understand how different the two systems are, and
the more I want to avoid trying to emulate Unix on Windows.

MinGW+MSYS requires no emulation layer on Windows. The tools are native.

2.  SCons uses a single, powerful programming language (Python) for its
project files, rather than shell+make+m4+Perl as in autotools, or
inflexible XML project files as in Visual Studio.  Version number as
SPOT?  Sure.  Auto-generation of license file with CRLF?  Easy!  Yes,
Peter, I've been reading your SVN commit messages.

Nice :)

I like Python very much, but I don't believe that we should switch build system based on language preference only. The autotool toolchain is ugly, but mostly works. If we should switch, it should be because the new build system should substantially reduce the amount of time we need to spend on it. Any new build system such as SCons or CMake will start below zero, since it would be necessary to start learning the new system, plus do the migration. Thus, they must really save time and trouble in the long run, if the switch should be worth it.

3.  I think many developers have grown tired of autotools.  Major
projects still use it because it's considered some kind of standard;
perhaps they think users will be severely disoriented or something like

I'm not concerned about users getting confused, but from a developer point, it's nice to build on a standard system, even if it's ugly. If I have some problems, a quick Google usually gives me the answer.

Best regards, ---
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00