Hi,

Don't know how good they are, but there are two functions in the kernel32 lib in windows that are related to a cpu performance counter, QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency. (Maybe Linux has similar?)

Anyway, on most systems the frequency reported is the raw cpu clock. (Couple of Ghz Range numbers, My current system is reporting 3,320,458 Hz, windows7.) Supposedly these are low latency functions. It may not offer a perfect solution, but at least it gives you 'low latency' access to a high speed counter.

Maybe it's possible to timestamp incoming PPS pulses with this (assuming they're triggering an interrupt), and learn something neat.

Some of this is subject to change with windows versions:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn553408(v=vs.85).aspx

Dan