Donald, thank you for the explanation.

I understand the part about the switch mode and absence of subnet in tinc.config. However, could you please explain what bridging the tap adapter will achieve and what kind of ip address will be used on tinc nodes and in the rest of the network.

In my example one household has local network addresses of 192.168.1.* and the other has 10.1.1.* If we don't install tap interfaces on other PC's this means that the other PCs won't have another ip address. I understand that bridging is going to solve this somehow, but I still don't see how broadcast from 10.1.1.7 can reach 192.168.1.5 in the other LAN.

In short I don't understand how bridging to adapters work. I'll try to google this topic to get a better understanding, meanwhile, could you please explain
how this applies to our tinc configuration case.

Also can you briefly describe what we achieve by setting PMTUDiscovery = Yes. I read the description in manual but it didn't tell me much.

Thank you again for all your help,
Andrew



On 7/10/2010 11:40 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
Oh okay. Yes you can make it appear as a single LAN. Your Tinc nodes will behave as bridges instead of routers (or gateways as you put it).

Your tinc nodes will have the same subnet mask and default router as all your other devices at that location.

You will need to run the add-tap script only on the tinc nodes on each side.

You will then need to bridge the tap adapter to the local area connection on the tinc nodes on each side.

This will create a bridge network object under your network connections. This bridge will have the IP configuration you illustrated.

You have the right idea in segregating the IP distribution while still using the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

One both nodes are up and connected, and the interfaces have been bridged on the Tinc nodes for each location, you will have a virtual LAN between the two locations.

Your Tinc configuration will be Switch mode. This means no Subnet configurations are required in your tinc.conf

Your tinc.conf will be something like

Name = NodeA
ConnectTo = NodeB
Interface = <something>
Mode = switch
PrivateKeyFile = <path to the rsa_key.priv>

Host files will be something like
For the host file named "NodeA"

Address = <host.dyndns.org <http://host.dyndns.org>>
PMTUDiscovery = Yes

--Begin RSA etc. etc.--


On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Andrew Savinykh <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Donald,

    thank you, while I still have some questions, your answer is
    definitely a step in the right direction.
    In the other reply I was asked what I'm trying to achieve. Let's
    consider the following scenario (which is quite similar to the one
    that described in the tinc manual).

    Let's assume we have two households, each has 3-5 computers in
    it.  Both house holds have similar network configuration:
    They are connected to internet with an ADSL line and a router.
    The computers in the local network access internet via the router.
    The router is configured so that one of the computers have port
    665 forwarded to be accessible outside.
    The external IP is changed rarely and there is dynamic DNS service
    (external) in use to accommodate for the change of IP when it happens.

    One household has local network addresses of 192.168.1.* and the
    other has 10.1.1.*
    I'm installing tinc on one computer in each household.

    The goal is to let all computers in both house holds to see each
    other by ip address. Also it is desired that for computer games
    purposes
    all computers appear to be on the same LAN (for broadcasts). But
    this is not mandatory. (it appears that it's not possible without
    installing tinc on every PC
    as every tinc daemon serves a subnet and two tinc daemons can't
    serve a part of subnet each)

    All computers run different flavours of Windows, most being Windows 7.

    I have two ideas how to set this up, although I'm not sure if any
    of these two works:

    IDEA1.
    =====
    Household A
    Gateway IP: 10.30.0.1
    Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Default Gateway: ????

    Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2,3,4 etc
    Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Other PCs Deafult Gateway: 10.30.0.1

    Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/25 <http://10.30.0.0/25>

    Household B
    Gateway IP: 10.30.0.129
    Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Default Gateway: ????

    Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.130,131,132 etc
    Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

    Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.128/25 <http://10.30.0.128/25>


    IDEA2.
    =====
    Household A
    Gatway IP: 10.30.0.1
    Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Default Gateway: ????

    Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2-255 etc
    Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.1

    Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24>

    Household B
    Gateway IP: 10.30.1.1
    Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway Default Gateway: ????

    Other PCs IP: 10.30.1.2-255 etc
    Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

    Tinc Subnet: 10.30.1.0/24 <http://10.30.1.0/24>


    So IDEA 1 probably won't work at all. Will it? And with IDEA 2 the
    pc's won't appear on the same LAN and their broadcasts won't reach
    each other.
    As far as I understand I need to install TAP interface on each of
    the participating windows PCs, correct?
    What is specified in default gateway of the gateways?



    Thank you in advance,
    Andrew

    On 7/10/2010 4:36 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
    The PCs that you want to participate need to have a route for the
    VPN subnet pointing to their local VPN gateway, which would be
    the local device with Tinc installed on it.

    Theoretical configuration example.

    VPN subnet is 10.10.10.0/24 <http://10.10.10.0/24>

    At a location, one computer 192.168.1.254/24
    <http://192.168.1.254/24> connects to the VPN and serves as the
    VPN gateway.  This gateway needs to be configured for TCP/IP
    forwarding.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236 - windows
    http://www.ducea.com/2006/08/01/how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-in-linux/ -
    linux

    Other computers local to the gateway need a route to the VPN
    network added so they know how to get there.

    In windows.   route -p add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0
    192.168.1.254
    This will add the persistent route that remains after reboot.

    Does that answer your question?

    On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Andrew Savinykh
    <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        Thank you for your reply. As far as I can see there is no
        point specifying subnet that consists of more than one PC in
        tinc config if you are going to install tinc on every PC in
        the subnet anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.
        Now, assuming I'm right, there will be PCs in the subnet that
        don't have tinc installed on them. How to configure these PCs
        so they are a part of the subnet and participate in routing?

        Cheers,
        Andrew


        On 6/10/2010 10:13 p.m., Cédric Lemarchand wrote:
        Hi,

        I am not sure to understand what you mean with "joining" a
        subnet.

        But if your "local computer" need to reach the "remote
        subnet" served by tinc, you can set the local IP of the
        local tinc server as the default gateway, or add a route to
        the remote subnet via the local tinc IP. Of course, computer
        located on the remote subnet need the same thing.

        Cédric

        Le 06/10/10 09:37, Andrew Savinykh a écrit :
         Hello all,

        I understand that each tinc daemon corresponds to one or
        more subnets that it "owns" a subnet can be a single ip or
        more.
        Could you please tell me what do I need to do to join a
        computer in local network (windows) to a subnet served by
        tinc?

        Thank you in advance,
        Andrew


_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to