Donald, thank you for this.

Do i read you right that to be able to receive broadcasts across LANs I have to use the address space that I already have and make sure that this space is the same for both LANs?

What I'm trying to do is to define a *completely new subnet* that will act as the common LAN foR both LAN A and LAN B.

To re-iterate:
I have one router that is 10.1.1.1 and gives out DHCP 10.1.1.* and the other router 192.168.0.1 that gives out DHCP 192.168.0.*. I would like to leave these address spaces alone and define a new on 10.30.1.* that computer from both networks can participate in effectively forming a new virtual LAN.

Is this possible with tinc? I know this possible with other software, I'm just having hard time figuring out if this is something I can configure tinc to do.

Andrew



On 7/10/2010 1:13 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
Sorry you're right. I was looking at the IP address schema where all nodes would use the 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24> network.

There's no need to install tap adapters on the other devices. You have basically 2 realistic options if you want the LAN function

You can specify multiple IP addresses for a single interface, even in Windows. You'll find this under the TCP/IP properties of the network adapter. And clicking on the Advanced button on the page where you can set a static IP or designate DHCP.

A 2nd option would be to re-ip one of your locations so that they all use the same subnet natively.

Bridging the tap adapter allows your network frames received by your physical interface to reach the TAP adapter and therefore traverse the VPN. This enables later 2 connectivity, the same way a real switch does. Virtual Ethernet over the Internet is how I like to describe it. This is how I have my VPN configured personally.

Without the bridge, a frame that is received at the physical interface has the frame stripped off and the packet inspected. Now we're talking layer 3. If the packet is destined for a network on the other side of the VPN, your Tinc node frames the packet back up with a new frame, and sends it over the VPN. This act of stripping the frame, reading the packet for the network destination, and applying a new frame to get it there is what Routing is. Without the bridge in place, your Tinc node is literally routing between the physical interface and the tap interface. With the bridge, you're creating a layer 2 pathway so the frames can shoot across directly. Of course this means both sides need to be on the same subnet which you obviously already know.

Be warned that this configuration comes with it's drawbacks. DHCP will traverse your VPN. I had location A computers getting addresses from location B which makes for some really inefficient internet traffic.

Regards,
Donald
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Andrew Savinykh <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Donald, thank you for the explanation.

    I understand the part about the switch mode and absence of subnet
    in tinc.config.
    However, could you please explain what bridging the tap adapter
    will achieve and what kind of ip address will be used on tinc
    nodes and in the rest of the network.

    In my example one household has local network addresses of
    192.168.1.* and the other has 10.1.1.*
    If we don't install tap interfaces on other PC's this means that
    the other PCs won't have another ip address.
    I understand that bridging is going to solve this somehow, but I
    still don't see how broadcast from 10.1.1.7 can reach 192.168.1.5
    in the other LAN.

    In short I don't understand how bridging to adapters work. I'll
    try to google this topic to get a better understanding, meanwhile,
    could you please explain
    how this applies to our tinc configuration case.

    Also can you briefly describe what we achieve by setting
    PMTUDiscovery = Yes. I read the description in manual but it
    didn't tell me much.

    Thank you again for all your help,
    Andrew




    On 7/10/2010 11:40 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
    Oh okay.  Yes you can make it appear as a single LAN.  Your Tinc
    nodes will behave as bridges instead of routers (or gateways as
    you put it).

    Your tinc nodes will have the same subnet mask and default router
    as all your other devices at that location.

    You will need to run the add-tap script only on the tinc nodes on
    each side.

    You will then need to bridge the tap adapter to the local area
    connection on the tinc nodes on each side.

    This will create a bridge network object under your network
    connections.  This bridge will have the IP configuration you
    illustrated.

    You have the right idea in segregating the IP distribution while
    still using the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

    One both nodes are up and connected, and the interfaces have been
    bridged on the Tinc nodes for each location, you will have a
    virtual LAN between the two locations.

    Your Tinc configuration will be Switch mode.   This means no
    Subnet configurations are required in your tinc.conf

    Your tinc.conf will be something like

    Name = NodeA
    ConnectTo = NodeB
    Interface = <something>
    Mode = switch
    PrivateKeyFile = <path to the rsa_key.priv>

    Host files will be something like
    For the host file named "NodeA"

    Address = <host.dyndns.org <http://host.dyndns.org>>
    PMTUDiscovery = Yes

    --Begin RSA etc. etc.--


    On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Andrew Savinykh
    <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        Donald,

        thank you, while I still have some questions, your answer is
        definitely a step in the right direction.
        In the other reply I was asked what I'm trying to achieve.
        Let's consider the following scenario (which is quite similar
        to the one that described in the tinc manual).

        Let's assume we have two households, each has 3-5 computers
        in it.  Both house holds have similar network configuration:
        They are connected to internet with an ADSL line and a router.
        The computers in the local network access internet via the
        router.
        The router is configured so that one of the computers have
        port 665 forwarded to be accessible outside.
        The external IP is changed rarely and there is dynamic DNS
        service (external) in use to accommodate for the change of IP
        when it happens.

        One household has local network addresses of 192.168.1.* and
        the other has 10.1.1.*
        I'm installing tinc on one computer in each household.

        The goal is to let all computers in both house holds to see
        each other by ip address. Also it is desired that for
        computer games purposes
        all computers appear to be on the same LAN (for broadcasts).
        But this is not mandatory. (it appears that it's not possible
        without installing tinc on every PC
        as every tinc daemon serves a subnet and two tinc daemons
        can't serve a part of subnet each)

        All computers run different flavours of Windows, most being
        Windows 7.

        I have two ideas how to set this up, although I'm not sure if
        any of these two works:

        IDEA1.
        =====
        Household A
        Gateway IP: 10.30.0.1
        Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Gateway Default Gateway: ????

        Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2,3,4 etc
        Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Other PCs Deafult Gateway: 10.30.0.1

        Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/25 <http://10.30.0.0/25>

        Household B
        Gateway IP: 10.30.0.129
        Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Gateway Default Gateway: ????

        Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.130,131,132 etc
        Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

        Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.128/25 <http://10.30.0.128/25>


        IDEA2.
        =====
        Household A
        Gatway IP: 10.30.0.1
        Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Gateway Default Gateway: ????

        Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2-255 etc
        Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.1

        Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24>

        Household B
        Gateway IP: 10.30.1.1
        Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Gateway Default Gateway: ????

        Other PCs IP: 10.30.1.2-255 etc
        Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
        Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

        Tinc Subnet: 10.30.1.0/24 <http://10.30.1.0/24>


        So IDEA 1 probably won't work at all. Will it? And with IDEA
        2 the pc's won't appear on the same LAN and their broadcasts
        won't reach each other.
        As far as I understand I need to install TAP interface on
        each of the participating windows PCs, correct?
        What is specified in default gateway of the gateways?



        Thank you in advance,
        Andrew

        On 7/10/2010 4:36 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
        The PCs that you want to participate need to have a route
        for the VPN subnet pointing to their local VPN gateway,
        which would be the local device with Tinc installed on it.

        Theoretical configuration example.

        VPN subnet is 10.10.10.0/24 <http://10.10.10.0/24>

        At a location, one computer 192.168.1.254/24
        <http://192.168.1.254/24> connects to the VPN and serves as
        the VPN gateway.  This gateway needs to be configured for
        TCP/IP forwarding.

        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236 - windows
        http://www.ducea.com/2006/08/01/how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-in-linux/ -
        linux

        Other computers local to the gateway need a route to the VPN
        network added so they know how to get there.

        In windows.   route -p add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0
        192.168.1.254
        This will add the persistent route that remains after reboot.

        Does that answer your question?

        On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Andrew Savinykh
        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

            Thank you for your reply. As far as I can see there is
            no point specifying subnet that consists of more than
            one PC in tinc config if you are going to install tinc
            on every PC in the subnet anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.
            Now, assuming I'm right, there will be PCs in the subnet
            that don't have tinc installed on them. How to configure
            these PCs so they are a part of the subnet and
            participate in routing?

            Cheers,
            Andrew


            On 6/10/2010 10:13 p.m., Cédric Lemarchand wrote:
            Hi,

            I am not sure to understand what you mean with
            "joining" a subnet.

            But if your "local computer" need to reach the "remote
            subnet" served by tinc, you can set the local IP of the
            local tinc server as the default gateway, or add a
            route to the remote subnet via the local tinc IP. Of
            course, computer located on the remote subnet need the
            same thing.

            Cédric

            Le 06/10/10 09:37, Andrew Savinykh a écrit :
             Hello all,

            I understand that each tinc daemon corresponds to one
            or more subnets that it "owns" a subnet can be a
            single ip or more.
            Could you please tell me what do I need to do to join
            a computer in local network (windows) to a subnet
            served by tinc?

            Thank you in advance,
            Andrew



    _______________________________________________
    tinc mailing list
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc



_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to