From: Beth Benoit [mailto:beth.ben...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 10/20/2010 8:44 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] revisionist history

A history textbook distributed to fourth-graders in Virginia last month asserts
that "thousands of African-Americans fought for the South during the Civil
War."  Not surprisingly, this claim is rejected by Civil War historians.  The
author, Joy Masoff, says she found the information "primarily through internet
research."

Her defense?  "I am a fairly respected writer."  Well, that should do it,
shouldn't it?
http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/221106/critics-say-grade-school-text-downplays-slavery

A group called "Sons of Confederate Veterans" is the apparent source of this
startling information.  If you check out this site, be sure to turn your
speaker down - a "soldier" comes on your screen and the volume is very loud.
http://www.scv.org/

I don't know if others recall that last spring, Virginia's governor, Robert
McDonnell, introduced "Confederate History Month" in Virginia without managing
to mention the rĂ´le of slavery in the Civil War, as mentioned in the story.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire