Beth Benoit wrote:

> A history textbook distributed to fourth-graders in Virginia last
> month asserts that "thousands of African-Americans fought for the
> South during the Civil War."  Not surprisingly, this claim is rejected
> by Civil War historians.  The author, Joy Masoff, says she found the
> information "primarily through internet research."
>
> Her defense?  "I am a fairly respected writer."  Well, that should do
> it, shouldn't it?
> http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/221106/critics-say-grade-school-text-downplays-slavery

Not surprising in the current political climate in the US. Apparently
the new textbook guidelines approved by the Texas school board have
banished the phrase "slave trade" in favor of the obscurantist "triangle
trade" (as though geometrical figures were being exchanged).

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology