UWF has a course called Careers in Psychology
It is intended to be a course that students take around the same time they
take intro

When I developed this as an online course several years ago, it was a
combination of foundation skills (an introduction to using APA style, a
touch of information literacy); advising for the major (students develop a
degree plan for their undergraduate major in psychology), planning for the
job / graduate school market (what can you do with a BA/BS in psychology?,
in any BA/BS (using skills acquired in psychology)?, an MA?, a PhD? - which
includes a threaded discussion based on current job postings students find),
expectations for admission to graduate school in psychology.  (the course is
described in a chapter in the book Teaching critical thinking in psychology
(Dunn, Halonen & Smith, Eds., 2008).

A colleague (Joan Duer, jd...@uwf.edu) has modified this a bit and sometimes
includes conversations with psychologists from the community to illustrate
the various career/work options available and answer student questions (this
during a face-to-face run for the course).

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor
School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514 – 5751

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 or  473-7435

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/cutla/
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Annette Taylor <tay...@sandiego.edu> wrote:

> Do any of your psychology programs have a course that orients students to
> the psychology major as a whole?
>
> At some institutions this is a sort of omnibus course that allows students,
> as soon as they declare a major, to prepare a program of study that will
> maximize their immediate and long term goals, with a fail safe in there
> someplace in case plans change. Some look at how to maximize psych goals in
> terms of core requirements. As well, it seems to often times be a
> combination careers course combined with an orientation to psychology as a
> science, with some information literacy components, APA style components,
> graduate school preparation components and others.
>
> If your department or program does, (or if you know about institutions that
> have such as program) can you please tell me about it, or better yet, send
> me a syllabus. There is only one on project syllabus for the course taught
> by Drew Appleby at Indiana Purdue. There are also a couple of careers
> courses but I am more interested in an omnibus course such as the one at
> Indiana.
>
> Thanks
>
> Annette
>
>  Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego
> 5998 Alcala Park
> San Diego, CA 92110
> tay...@sandiego.edu
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: csta...@uwf.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d550&n=T&l=tips&o=9579
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-9579-13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=9599
or send a blank email to