Hi

I have to admit to reacting much like Annette's critics.  Some of the things
(e.g., career advising) appear more appropriate for student services or the
like.  Others do get covered, perhaps implicitly, in other courses (e.g., APA
in methods course?).  Others I would think that university students should be
able to learn on their own and / or get help from appropriate resources (e.g.,
library search through on-line help and reference librarians).

I have always been somewhat leery about explicit teaching of all competencies
we might want to instill in students.  For one thing, it could prevent students
from many opportunities to learn how to learn things for themselves, an
important meta-cognitive skill?  And it might wash out "natural" (for want of a
better term) differences in the learning abilities of students, such that
grades no longer indicate all the competencies they once did.

Somewhat hypocritically, I do try to show students how complex material in
courses can be conceptualized or organized, but at the same time I worry that
they are missing opportunities to learn how to organize such information for
themselves, especially if everyone is now doing more of this than in the past.
I remember many hours as an undergraduate trying to distill year-long courses
into a combination outline / notes on a single page (often a big page with
little and very cryptic writing).  What role did such repeated exercise and
practice play in my own cognitive development in an age prior to detailed text
outlines, nicely demarcated sections of books, powerpoint slides, conceptual
maps, and the like?

Finally, I worry somewhat that we could be emphasizing the pragmatic importance
of what we teach, whether it is related to work opportunities or even practical
skills.  Might not this emphasis on such topics help to undermine the idea of
learning psychology (or any liberal arts discipline) for its own merits?
Perhaps especially when combined with all the other pressures that undermine
the liberal arts.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Annette Taylor <tay...@sandiego.edu> 26-Mar-11 11:44:04 AM >>>
I want to thank everyone who has responded and even sent along syllabi.

I am facing two hurdles:
(1) Getting some of our department faculty on board who think that this is not
a "content" course and should, therefore, not carry any credit value to it.
(2) Getting it through curriculum committee where it was shot down instantly as
nothing more than advising.

Sigh.

What got me started on this was that I do our senior exit surveys, and have for
the past decade at least. I found that a majority of our students demonstrated
a poor understanding of the discipline, a poor understanding of what they want
to do in life and how to get in a position to do that, and even didn't know how
to go about getting advising.

Another sigh.

This has all been very helpful to me.

Keep those syllabi coming and if anyone wants my 1-unit syllabus for the trial
course I'm teaching now, just let me know.

I will be on sabbatical next fall and my colleague who will teach it in the
fall is amazed at the amount of reading I have assigned. She thinks it's more
than many faculty assign for 3-unit "content" course. In addition, the
assignments, 4-year plan, making a resume and CV and knowing the difference,
writing up a letter of intent for a job and for a grad program, as well as
knowing how to solicit letters of rec...basics of information literacy (a
library scavenger hunt) as well as apa style; how we can use psychological
principles to inform good learning skills and making time management
logs...it's a lot of work and a lot of information! Along with the careers and
meet the faculty stuff. OOF. Nevertheless the curriculum committee thought it
was not worth considering as a college "course," nor do a few of my colleagues.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego