From: Annette Taylor [mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:44 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] orientation to major

I want to thank everyone who has responded and even sent along syllabi.

I am facing two hurdles:

(1) Getting some of our department faculty on board who think that this is
not a "content" course and should, therefore, not carry any credit value
to it.

(2) Getting it through curriculum committee where it was shot down
instantly as nothing more than advising.

Sigh.

What got me started on this was that I do our senior exit surveys, and
have for the past decade at least. I found that a majority of our students
demonstrated a poor understanding of the discipline, a poor understanding
of what they want to do in life and how to get in a position to do that,
and even didn't know how to go about getting advising.

Another sigh.

This has all been very helpful to me.

Keep those syllabi coming and if anyone wants my 1-unit syllabus for the
trial course I'm teaching now, just let me know.

I will be on sabbatical next fall and my colleague who will teach it in
the fall is amazed at the amount of reading I have assigned. She thinks
it's more than many faculty assign for 3-unit "content" course. In
addition, the assignments, 4-year plan, making a resume and CV and knowing
the difference, writing up a letter of intent for a job and for a grad
program, as well as knowing how to solicit letters of rec...basics of
information literacy (a library scavenger hunt) as well as apa style; how
we can use psychological principles to inform good learning skills and
making time management logs...it's a lot of work and a lot of information!
Along with the careers and meet the faculty stuff. OOF. Nevertheless the
curriculum committee thought it was not worth considering as a college
"course," nor do a few of my colleagues.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.

Professor, Psychological Sciences

University of San Diego