* On 2019 21 Nov 05:32 -0600, Christian Treldal wrote:
> All modern rigs have keying via hamlib.

I would caution, that is possible with varying degrees of support and
capability.

On the N1MM+ mailing list there is this recent thread that asks about a
warning when CAT keying is used:

https://groups.io/g/N1MMLoggerPlus/message/45927

Rich, VE3KI, weighs in later with:

https://groups.io/g/N1MMLoggerPlus/message/45930

where he states:

        Which rig? The KY command works differently in Elecraft vs.
        Kenwood vs. Yaesu. The examples that have been posted in various
        places were for Elecraft radios. IIRC, the KY command for
        Kenwood radios requires a fixed-length argument (padded with
        blanks), which makes it essentially impossible to use
        substitution macros. Also as I recall, the Yaesu KY command does
        not send text, it selects one of the radio's own CW memories and
        sends that.

I've not seen the code, of course, but I presume that N1MM+ is handling
all of the rig control stuff internally.  For Tlf and other programs
using Hamlib, the rig capabilities would be queried and if
rig_send_morse() is supported, it can be used, however, things like the
speed up/down characters in the keying macro would need to be handled by
the calling program and speed changes sent to the rig interspersed with
the message text.   I can see this becoming very clunky very quickly!

Any given Hamlib backend will probably be coded so as to perform needed
work-arounds as best as possible.  Again, this is very rig specific and
even Hamlib likely cannot hide certain differences.

I only have access to a K3 these days.  I've not seen much mention of
anyone using the Hamlib send_morse function for any serious CW keying.

If I could offer a wishlist item to the manufacturers, it would be for
those radios incorporating a USB connector for rig control and sound
card IO that a second virtual serial port be available to expose a K1EL
compatible keyer.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB